Srei Infrastructure Finance Company - Overview & Milestone
Srei Infrastructure Finance Limited ("Srei"), a Kanoria Foundation entity, is one of India's largest holistic infrastructure institutions, constantly and consistently delivering innovative solutions in the infrastructure space. Srei, derived from the Hindi word ‘Shrey’ meaning 'merit' or 'credit'. The company has been in the business for nearly three decades and has come a long way after starting its journey perhaps in one of the most difficult and challenging times. In 1989, India had not opened up its economy, which during those times, was in doldrums. There was hardly any quality investment in infrastructure projects. Srei was born then, a child of a dream, with the aim to address two of the most critical problems in our country then – financing and infrastructure. Today, Srei has close to USD 5.5 billion of consolidated assets under its management.
Our journey of nearly three decades has made us both dynamic and mature. Our experience in the sector has been an exceptional mix of moments of excellence, seconds of despair, frustrations, and thrill, yet exciting. With 'Innovation' as our hallmark, we have grown over the years to become the preferred partners in infrastructure financing.
Srei believes in being the driving force for entrepreneurs. By empowering over 77,000 customers through our bouquet of services, our value proposition towards our customers and partners is much beyond finance. Our services in the infrastructure sector include:
Srei has continually innovated and developed sustainable approaches to become a deserving leader in almost all stages of the infrastructure value chain. We have added many feathers to our list of accomplishments that distinguish us as a young yet mature organisation:
- We are amongst the first Indian NBFCs to access the international market for funds
- To broad base shareholding we were the first Indian infrastructure NBFC to be listed on the London Stock Exchange way back in 2005. We also have the distinction of having a wide spectrum of international institutions as our stakeholders:
- IFC (International Finance Corporation - World Bank Group)
- KfW & DEG Germany (Financial Institutions owned by the Government of Germany)
- FMO (Financial Institution owned by the Government of Netherlands)
- BIO (Financial Institution owned by the Government of Belgium))
- FINFUND (Financial Institution owned by the Government of Finland).
- The first company to lay the ground for passive telecom infrastructure sharing in India.
- We are also the first to break new ground in rural IT infrastructure in India (under the National e-Governance Plan of the Government of India). Our mega project, called Sahaj e-Village, is a network of over 66,000 Common Service Centres (CSCs) in six states, offering B2B, B2C, G2C and e-Learning services to a rural population of more than 670 Million people.
A robustness of any Company can be assessed by how it performs in its most challenging times. We have survived multiple market cycles and been through two of the most challenging economic slowdowns and yet stood the test of time over the years.
We are a company that is now a catalyst to national transformation, instead of being a beneficiary of economic growth. Our customer base of over 77,000 and over USD 5.5 billion of Consolidated Assets Under Management, has made us one of the largest player in the infrastructure segment
We are also increasing our presence overseas and currently operate two offices in the Russian Federation. We realize the importance of technology and it is the one thing that differentiates us from our competitors.
Our edge, over the others, is the ability to provide all possible infrastructure related services under one roof, makes us the most preferred partner for infrastructure players in India.
Srei started operations and identified infrastructure as its core business.
Srei's initial public offer (IPO). Srei's shares are currently listed on all major stock exchanges.
IFC, Washington (World Bank Group), DEG (owned by the government of Germany), and FMO (owned by the government of Netherlands) invested in Srei as strategic equity partners.
Srei became one of the first Indian NBFIs to be listed on the London Stock Exchange.
Srei formed a joint venture with BNP Paribas for equipment financing business.
Srei formed a strategic partnership with Tata Group for passive telecom infrastructure business.
Synergistic integration of Srei and Quippo to create an integrated infrastructure institution.
Srei received 'Infrastructure Finance Company' and 'Public Financial Institution' status.
Srei received certificate of registration for mutual fund (infrastructure debt fund) from SEBI.
Srei received certificate of authorisation from RBI to set up, own and operate White Label ATMs.
Srei sells stake in Viom to ATC, the transaction is one of the largest FDI in Indian telecom space.
Srei consolidates 100% shareholding in its equipment financing business.